Saturday, April 24, 2010

Departures


Great movies so far.  Plenty of fodder for good movie-conversation.  But here we finally have the first must-see film of Ebertfest 2010.  A skilled review would share just enough information without giving too much away.  Personally I prefer to know very little about a film upon first viewing whenever possible.  I want to walk in cold and let it unfold.  So I don't want to say too much - but I will say that it is a Japanese film with English subtitles, made in 2008, with an actor who is apparently a pretty big star in Japan (Masahiro Motoki).  It's as good as another former Ebertfest favorite, "Shall We Dance" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117615) from 1996.  This too is a comedy --- but not the same kind of comedy.  Make no mistake, this is by no means a "light" film.  If you see it, let me know; I'd love to discuss it with you. 

Yôjirô Takita, the director of "Departures," was present for the screening and participated in a Q&A via a translator after the film.  He's a charming and gracious fellow, and I knew absolutely nothing about him before today.  He does have some previous work that is perhaps a bit, um, out there - according to IMDB.

I have one concern to mention about "Departures" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1069238).  Those who attend Ebertfest are very spoiled:  We have the advantage of awe-inspiring projection and sound, and audiences of 1,000+ who are open to the recommendations of one Roger Ebert, a hometown hero in these parts (and a global media star beyond that).  A fancy home theater system is nice, but THIS is the way that movies were meant to be seen.  Will this film still muster up the same emotional experience for those who view on the small screen?  All I can say is - I sure as hell hope so.

Photo:  Director Yôjirô Takita stands (with translator) to take a bow.  He received a standing ovation for "Departures" at Ebertfest on Friday.

Photo by Joe Bennett

No comments: