Friday, April 23, 2010

Day Two: Far Flung (from Northern Illinois)

Four more hours of sleep last night. Every little bit counts I guess. Could have slept in some, but had an opportunity to have coffee with fellow Ebert Club members at a double-secret-meet-n-greet at the Illini Union at 8:30. First and foremost, let me say that the Union is an incredible structure, awe-inspiring, like approaching the White House. That kind of majesty. Right in the heart of the U of I campus, strolling around gives me a feel for the university-life that I missed. Walking around here just feels good, especially on this bright and breezy morning.

Roger's assistant of 20 years, Carol, was an astute hostess, greeting me with a warm smile and immediately facilitating connections. She quickly introduced me to some fellow Clubbers and hooked me up with some coffee. At that point I was already pretty wired but it really hit the spot.

I didn't get there until almost 9:00 so Roger's group of Far-Flung Correspondents were already in high gear, the social butterflies that they clearly are. These are intriguing people with stories to tell, as deft with the spoke as with the written word. I was just starting to get my mingle on when Roger entered the room, as evidenced by the applause. Welcome Grand Poobah.

Roger made his way around the room, graciously shaking every hand. When he got to me I promptly announced myself as a 9-time festival attendee. (I wanted him to know that I mean business. Roger, you're looking at a devotee, not a poser. Although my Bears t-shirt clearly speaks "DORK" to the world.) At the mention of 9 festivals his eyes lit up; he released my hand and broke into applause, bowing in that way that has become his communicative trademark in recent years. His "voice" has perhaps evolved, but still speaks volumes, even in silence.

Lots of other fun people there too, including, Chaz and Nate, Tribune critic (and TV star!) Michael Philips, and of course the incomparable David Bordwell. Here's a guy that makes everyone else smarter just by standing in our general vicinity. Please David - keep blogging.

Sorry to see that Marie Hawes is apparently not here; she is Ebert Club online facilitator and headmistress, and was especially helpful to me when the club registration process was acting particularly glitchy for me. Perhaps she will make an appearance before festival-end.

Well the first movie of Day 2 will begin shortly, Mumyurangabo.

No comments: