Friday, April 23, 2010

Day One: The Whirlwind

Wednesday was a blur.  We got to C-U with just enough time to get our parking pass from the Mental Health Center of Champaign.  (Thanks to Marcie for always taking care of us.)  Quickly grabbed our passes and A&G settled into the passholder line while I drove over to the hotel to get us checked in.  Got back in plenty of time to hear Chaz & Co. introduce "Pink Floyd: The Wall." 

This soundtrack for this film was one that I must have played a thousand times when I was perhaps 17, but I had never seen the film itself.  I remember having heard that someone had committed suicide after watching The Wall, which seems likely to have been an urban legend.  Not really sure.  (Someone has probably offed himself after watching "Two-and-a-Half Men" also, yet such rumors do not persist, however justifiable the concept may seem.) 

An impressive film; what a thrill to finally see it - and in this venue.  I did know the film's reputation as being inventive in terms of animation, and the artistry did not disappoint.  And of course, that music...  The most beautiful and haunting song of the movie, of course, is "Comfortably Numb" - one of those songs that always brings me to a very specific place in time.  This was a perfect way to begin Ebertfest 12. 

Trying something new this year, Roger & Nate decided to double the number of movies shown on Wednesday, jumping from one to a whopping two.  The second film was entitled, "You, the Living."  I'm probably a bit tired to try to expound on this now, so I will pick this discussion up again later. 

Thanks for reading.

JB

No comments: