Sunday, April 25, 2010

Day 4 of Ebertfest 2010


Today started with a screen of "I Capture the Castle."  Throughout the film I thought about how much it reminded me of Jane Austen and figured perhaps my parents or sisters had been familiar with this book, or perhaps even the movie.  Then I realized that it was actually an R-rated film (which is completely silly because there is nothing but some brief and harmless nudity).  I did appreciate "Castle" but I wonder if the book is even better.  I intend to seek it out one day. 

The panel discussion (shown above) included bloggers, the Movie Mom plus three of Roger's far-flug correspondents. 


The second movie was called "Vincent: A Life in Color" - a documentary about a colorful Chicago character who can barely see -- but loves to be seen.  Vince was present in the audience, and took the stage afterwards to discuss the film.  This is a flamboyant soul; his suits are blinding with the brightest colors and I can only imagine how jarring it must be to see him through the NBC 5 Chicago street-level window every morning. 

His endless puns are legendary.  I got to spend a few moments with him today, and when we shook hands he replied, "Just like at the butcher shop - I'm glad to meat you."  Then he blurts out, "Oh no...(groan)."  Vincent is endlessly likable and his director, Jennifer Burns, is charming and has a deep affection for her subject.

The discussion panel consisted of Vincent Falk, director Burns, and editor Christine Gilliland (along with Richard Roeper and another of the Far Flung crew). 

To be continued...






No comments: